Team Seconds and Team Tess win Y2!
So, the Y2 Entrepreneurship Conference is done. 96 participants worked with 36 volunteer entrepreneurs and professionals to refine and present 14 ideas to the panel of judges.
The 2 winning teams were Seconds (app that will help redistribute local food surplus to provide city-dwellers with quality meals at discounted prices) and Tess (redesigned compost bin that makes composting easier and less messy), and the overall vibe was amazing. Feedback from participants has been very positive - they enjoyed the experience, they learned new things (skills and confidence), and they met great people.
These were the ideas shared in the final presentations:
- Bottle Bounty: Produce "reverse vending machines" that will collect plastic bottles in exchange for credits (think bottle return services) to improve recycling rates.
- EatMar: Mobile ordering and payment platform for the restaurant industry.
- Enigma: The Affinity will create a virtual space that allows people to make social and emotional connections through music.
- Flexwear: Primary-layer clothing powered by electricity to heat the person wearing it.
- Glide: A soundless, efficient and lightweight vacuum cleaner.
- HOAP (Help over Alexa Platform): An Alexa-based and voice-activated personal assistant that serves users with the goal of reducing stress and anxiety in youth.
- I.V.V.I. (Integrated Vision for the Visually Impaired): A device that will help the visually impaired navigate various environment by providing directions, and auditory and tactile feedback to incoming obstacles.
- Kinected Co: Body movement-powered phone charger and case.
- Müla: Application that helps high-school students reach their short and long term financial goals through gamification and rewards. Müla’s ultimate goal is to educate students on the importance of financial stability for their future, while having fun.
- Opus: Tool to help users minimize disruption from social media and other online distractions.
- Seconds: App that will help redistribute local food surplus to provide city-dwellers with quality meals at discounted prices.
- SPACr: Platform to allow people to better use the spaces (recreation, work, meeting) available in their communities.
- Tess: Redesigned compost bin that makes composting easier and less messy.
- Tunnel Vision: Sports club for low-income children.
Ideal Incubator’s team was present to video-record on both days, and over the coming week or so will share the videos with us, to be shared on YouTube (details TBC).
Thanks to all of our volunteers (coaches, mentors, judges, speakers, workshop facilitators, prizes, photography, and logistics), Ideal Incubator video team, special guest speakers (Seneca College President David Agnew, Minister of Small Business and Tourism and Leader of the House Bardish Chagger, Associate Deputy Minister of Science, Innovation and Economic Development Kelly Gillis, and YRDSB Trustee Billy Pang), sponsors, and host Seneca College for your support.
The Y2 Entrepreneurship Conference is a 2-part event for high-school students, where participants learn to start a business and develop a product. Participants learn in 3 workshops (design thinking, building an investor pitch presentation, public speaking tips) and work directly with established entrepreneurs from the York Region and GTA communities. The 2 winning teams are awarded mentoring meals with CEOs to continue their learning experience. For more information, visit http://y2labs.co/.