Port Union Road. 1956
In the 1800's, Port Union was a growing waterfront village with flourishing ship building and commercial fishing industries, two hotels, a commercial wharf, and a variety of small businesses.
In 1856, the Grand Trunk Railway opened a station in Port Union which added the attentionto to the waterfront village.
Centennial Street was titled after Centennial Church, circa 1891, which still stands at the north end of Centennial Road off Kingston Road.
First the West part of the neighborhood was settled with larger properties and homes. By the early sixties, Centennial East had also become a popular residential area with new homes being built commonly through the sixties and seventies.
By 1865, Port Union's population granted its own post office.
In the 1990's, Port Union recovered its waterfront with a new housing subdivision that has helped connect this neighborhood to its distinguished past.