Pine Grove Park in Woodbridge after hurricane Hazel struck Canada as an extratropical storm. October, 1954.
Woodbridge was originally titled Burwick after pioneer Rowland Burr who settled here in 1835. As the rural suburb grew and mail delivery arrived, the town had to change its name as there was confusion with another settlement in Western Canada named Burwick.
The name Woodbridge first came into use in 1855. Woodbridge was suitably named in reference to a landmark wooden bridge that spanned the Humber River and marked the entrance into the town. The old bridge was located near what is today Islington Avenue and Langstaff Road. In 1870 the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway was the first to put Woodbridge on the plan.
Agriculture was a primary activity. Grain and flour mills along the Humber River also subscribed to the growth of the village. Woodbridge's growing population led to its incorporation as a Village in 1882.
In 1908 the Canadian Pacific Railway routed its line through Woodbridge. Then in 1914 the Toronto Suburban Railway Company's Weston Line expanded to include Woodbridge. The construction of Highway 7 in 1930 started a new era in Woodbridge's growth.
New home development first arrived in the 1950s. Woodbridge's rural past is now wide of memory, farm fields replaced by soccer fields and new homes. The growth has been significant from the first pioneers to the many families that now call Woodbridge home.