Wilmot Township was indicated a Crown Reserve following the Canada Act of 1791 which created Upper and Lower Canada. After a government audit in 1824, Mennonites from Waterloo Township and Amish from Europe claimed lots and began establishing.
Along the settlements three main roads were cleared for crossing from one to the other. They named the streets Oberstrasse (Upper Street), Mittlestrasse (Middle Street) and Unterstrasse (Lower Street). These roads are now known as Erb's Road, Snyder's Road and Bleams Road.
In 1840, Wilmot Township developed into part of the District of Wellington. Townships and incorporated villages were admitted as rural units of government. On January 21, 1850, the first elected Council of the Township of Wilmot met in Wilmot Centre.
Heritage settlement indications can be found throughout Wilmot Township in Holland Mills, Josephsburg, New Prussia, Pinehill, Punkeydoodle's Corner, Rosebank, Victoriaburg, and Waldau. The traditions that early pioneers brought to Wilmot Township helped shape the communities as they are today.
The Wilmot communities represent the spirit of community involvement of many generations of Wilmot Township residents.