Old Leslie St., looking s.e. from Sheppard Ave. E. in foreground. 1956
Bayview Village began as a small pastoral community in the 1800's. One of this area's first pioneers was Thomas Clark, a father of seven children and an influential member of the community. The Clark house, built circa 1885, and located at 9 Barberry Place, is the only residence that remains from Bayview Village's lead days.
The present day Bayview Village neighborhood was planned in 1954 by a group of developers led by Farlinger Development Ltd. The village was greeted as "contemporary living in the countryside, at the doorstep of the urban concentration of Metropolitan Toronto".
The town planner who also designed the Rexdale, Thorncrest Village, and Humber Valley neighborhoods in Toronto has its curvilinear street trademark impression. The pattern that chases the natural contours of the land was designed to highlight the natural beauty of this neighborhood.
A number of Bayview Village streets such as Citation, Candida, and Bunty Lane are named after famous race horses which recall that the area was a racehorse training ground before being developed.