The history of Port Credit goes ahead long before the arrival of non-Native settlers. Archaeological evidence submits that both Iroquoian and Algonkian-speaking peoples were appealed to the Credit River Valley over a period of thousands of years.
The section of Port Credit was in the 1700s, the land of the Mississauga Ojibwe band. The area became used as a meeting place between the band and white traders, and the creek was known to them as the Missinhe or "trusting creek”, but the river came to be known as the Credit River, a name derived from the trading post established in 1720 where goods were interchange on credit.
A village plan was laid out in 1834 and for several years, Port Credit was a develop harbor community used by the natives and settlers cooperatively. Village lots were sold to settlers by the natives and the Port Credit Harbor Company, which developed the harbor, was unitedly owned.
A lighthouse was in use from 1882 to 1918 and endures standing until destroyed by fire in 1936.
Starting early in the 20th century Port Credit had become an attractive location for business, travelers and people wishing to leave the city of Toronto in summer.
Today the harbor has been redeveloped into a marina on the east bank and a charter fishing centre and public boat launch facility on the west bank under the lighthouse.