Not so much a castle as it is a sprawling mansion, the 40 room Dundurn Castle was completed in 1835 by architect Robert Charles Wetherell. The land, Burlington Heights (now Dundurn Park) was originally owned by Richard Beasley but was sold to Sir Allan MacNab (former Premier of the Province of Canada) when Beasley encountered financial difficulties. The mansion became famous for its grand entertainment, hosting notable historical figures like Sir John A. MacDonald and King Henry VII. Purchased by the City of Hamilton in the early 1900s, the mansion was restored to its former 1855 glory in the 60s and was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984. Today, it is a civic museum with costumed interpreters guiding visitors through the house as they depict life in the late 1800s.