Pefferlaw was established in the late 1820s by Captain William Johnson; a British Naval Officer who was released from service in 1815 following the Battle of Waterloo.
The name, Pefferlaw, was advised to Captain Johnson by his brother in remembrance of a field among the heather on their old homestead and means, “a beautiful greensward.”
The first uphold diaries of William Johnson begin in 1832. By that date he had a saw mill, woolen mill and gristmill built at Pefferlaw.
The first store in the suburb of Pefferlaw was built in August 1833. Soon after, Robert Johnson, brother of William, took over running the store and shortly thereafter built a large two-story red brick house on the edge of the bank beside the stock which still stands today.
The second store in Pefferlaw was built by George Johnson, son of Captain William in 1856.
Money dealing came to Pefferlaw with the arrival of the C.N.R. Railway in 1906.
The Pefferlaw area like all early community had its share of hotels – one at every crossroad. The Morning Glory Hotel was built in the 1860s and stood for various years on the site of the present day Morning Glory Public School. The tavern was well stooped by river drivers, lumber workers and stage coach passengers and drivers. The Mansion House Hotel was built in 1884. When it replaced owners in 1906 the establishment was renamed, Hotel Belvedere.