The first settlers took place in Woolwich Township in the late 1700's.
In 1798, William Wallace was signed over 86,078 acres of land on the Grand. The parcel of land called Woolwich was named in honor of a government surveyor.
Wallace sold a rectangular 12 mile strip of land containing 15,000 acres to Lieutenant Robert Pilkington. The territory was called Upper Woolwich until 1852 when it was then incorporated as the Township of Pilkington and connected to Wellington County.
During the war of 1812, Wallace disappeared. Some of his area was confiscated by the government, other came in to the possession of James Crooks, a native of Scotland, who sold it in small lots to individuals and in this manner the village of Winterbourne emerged.
On January 1, 1923, Elmira, with a population of 2500, turned into an incorporated town and today Elmira is a prospering community of approximately 8,000 people with a variety of restaurants, specialty shops such as quilt, bridal and gift stores and is home to the Elmira Maple Syrup Festival.