Whitby Read more
Wexford established in the 1840's as a crossroads community focused around "The Rising Sun Inn," which was located on the south-west corner of what is now the Lawrence and Pharmacy Avenue intersection.
This inn was owned by Richard Sylvester, who hailed from Wexford County, Ireland.
In 1865, a post office was established in Sylvester's "Rising Sun Inn." Sylvester called this post office Wexford, which from that time onward, also became the official name of this community.
One of the oldest standing churches in Toronto build in 1848 is St. Jude's Church. An historical memorial held over from Wexford's pioneer days , situated on the east side of Victoria Park Avenue, south of Lawrence Avenue.
Wexford remained a quiet farming hamlet until the 1950's, when the present day neighbourhood was developed.