1910, Mary Pickford Theatre on the left - originally The Auditorium Theatre - opened 1906
The history of the area begins with the original survey of the northern shore of Lake Ontario conducted by Augustus Jones in 1791. The visit established a baseline soon to be called Lot Street (later renamed Queen Street). The ground now known as Alexandra Park was then the southern portions of lots 16, 17 and 18 of Concession 1 of the Township of York.
Alexandra Park's history twists around Sir Casimir Gzowski, a Polish engineer who immigrated to Toronto in 1841. Gzowski's prominent career included the building of the Grand Trunk Railway from Toronto to Sarnia.
He completed his grand home, which he called 'The Hall', at what is now the south-east corner of Dundas St. W. and Bathurst St. In 1904, the City of Toronto redeemed "The Hall" and its environs for use as a public park. This park was named Alexandra Park after Queen Alexandra.
Neighbourhoods occur around the area that was inhabited largely by Polish and Ukrainian immigrants in the 1920s and 1930s. In 1964 Toronto City council allowed plans for the Alexandra Park Housing Cooperative. This led to impound of sixteen acres of private property and the subsequent demolition of many Alexandra Park houses. Today Alexandra Park is improving and making an effort to turn a new leaf.