Pelham Township was part of Welland County since the 1780s. Despite during the War of 1812 there were no battles in Pelham, after the war, a major barricade was proposed in the north of the township in the Short Hills area. The high-rising hills were thought to be an excellent stronghold spot. The site was surveyed and named Wellington Height after the Duke of Wellington. The planned defence was named King George's Battery. However, the plan was repeatedly deferred, before being finally abandoned in 1860s.
From the top of the hill on a clear day it is possible to see Toronto, Hamilton and western New York State. In 1970, the Town of Pelham unified five factual communities: Fonthill, Ridgeville, Effingham, North Pelham and Fenwick into a single town.
From the mid-1860's through the end of the 19th century, the Town of Pelham was a midpoint of baseball activity. Citizens of the town grasped the national pastime with gusto. There were baseball grounds all over the Town of Pelham. Ballplayers from all over the sphere from as far away as Staten Island and Yonkers and as near as Mount Vernon and New Rochelle traveled to Pelham to play ball.