The neighbourhood takes its name from its developer, John T. Moore. To encourage buyers, he built two bridges in 1891: the original steel bridge on St. Clair over the Vale of Avoca, and the original wooden bridge on Moore Avenue over Spring Valley ravine. He also helped establish railway service to the neighbourhood, overseeing the connection of the area to the Toronto Belt Line Railway, a commuter railway. The development was marketed to the wealthy, and the neighbourhood remains wealthy. Moore Park was annexed by the City of Toronto on December 16, 1912.