The section of Bloor West where the Kingsway Theatre is located, c. 1960
Kingsway Park is located on former Clergy Reserve lands that were conceded to the Church of England in the early 1800's. The church leased this property to farmers.
The area now known as 'The Kingsway' is a combination of three distinct areas: The first area to be completed on was south of Government Road, east of Prince Edward Drive which formed the government 'King's' Mill Reserve. The second area along Dundas from the Humber River to Royal York was the Etobicoke side of York Township's community of Lambton Mills. The third area south of Bloor, west of Prince Edward Drive assembled a typical farming community dominated by the Thompson family; sometimes called 'Thompson Estates' by local developers.
The neighbourhood was first advanced by Etobicoke lawyer Robert Home Smith who purchased the old King's Mill and began developing land in the early 1900s.
The Kingsway loomed from Home Smith's vision of the ideal community and was mostly inspired by the Garden City principles, which were originally accepted in parts of England during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Home Smith's motto for Kingsway Park was "a little bit of England far from England". By the 1920s, those ideas ended up into the development, which he named Kingsway Park.
Street names such as Queen Anne Road and Kingsgarden Road underlined the appearance of English decency and affluence that Smith was selling. Smith also established the Old Mill Restaurant in the community, whose Tudor Revival facade and well-appointed interior inspired much of the English design in the Kingsway.
In the 1950s a highway style junction at Royal York and Dundas was constructed cutting the neighourhood from the much older community of Islington to the west and the street 'The Kingsway' from its extension to the north.
The community in the Kingsway has been very strong in preserving the style of housing and atmosphere of the neighbourhood as intended by Robert Home Smith.