Stratford Astronomy Group (SAG)
STRATFORD ASTRONOMY GROUP (SAG)
The Stratford Astronomy Group is comprised of amateur astronomers. Membership is open to anyone interested in astronomy. We have a range of members from beginner to professional. This is a great learning experience and enables people to be more aware of their surroundings. All ages are welcome Our first meeting occurred on Oct 20, 1999 and we currently have 40 members.
We strive to spread the wonder and awe of the night sky to the public. Below are some of the events we have held in the past.
• Presentation Dec 13 2005 in Woodstock - Field naturalists
• Presentation May 7, 2007 in Woodstock
• Zorra public school under partially cloudy Sky's on September 25, 2009
• International Year of Astronomy 2009 – early spring Public Library Talk on Orion
• Zorra public school - 2010
• Donation of Teaching Guides to 10 schools 2010
• Donation of Teaching Guides to 9 schools 2011
• Spoke to small class of home schooled children 2011
• Stratford Public Library Summer Programme 2013
• Star Party with Stratford Museum and the Stratford Library July 20 2013
• Winterfest 2015
• Mall display May 9 2015 - two scopes and display set-up for the public
• Museum Star party May 23 2015
• Winterfest 2016
You can find more about our group by looking on Facebook - Stratford Astronomy Group
The cost of membership is a voluntary contribution.
Many of the members have joined Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC). Our group is not affiliated to RASC.
Meeting Dates: The Stratford Astronomy Group hold indoor meetings on the first and third Tuesday of each month from September to May. They are held at St. Michael Catholic Secondary School, Oakdale Ave., Stratford, Room # 104 at 7:00pm.Please park in the lot behind the school near the gym (off Matilda). Enter school using the rear entrance near the gym. Room IG4 is the first one on the left, across from the gym.