In 1948 Ed Mirvish opened a landmark discount store on the corner of Bloor and Bathurst Streets.
In 1952 Mirvish purchased his first property along Markham Street. Later, he acquired the houses on the other side of the street. With the help of his wife, Anne, a sculptor Mirvish converted the buildings into art studios and galleries.
David Mirvish Gallery opened in 1963. Sustained for 15 as one of Mirvish Village's first shops along with David Mirvish Books which continued for several more years.
The area’s artistic community expanded into what is now known as Mirvish Village. Today the area is a artistic place, home to art galleries, boutique shops and restaurants.