Bloor St. W., looking n.e. over Mimico Creek Bridge
Mimico was formerly known by the First Nations People as "Omimeca," meaning "the resting place of the wild pigeons." The Indian meaning for "Mimico" is "the resting place of the wild pigeons". Passenger Pigeons would rest at the mouth of Mimico Creek before flying south across Lake Ontario. Passenger Pigeons once numbered in the billions. Sadly, the last Passenger Pigeon died in captivity in 1914.
The Mimico precinct began to be advanced in the 1890's south of Lake Shore Boulevard, where many of Toronto's wealthiest families assemble their summer homes. Some of these residences are still flawless however most were lost to expansion after World War II.
Mimico began to come up as a year-round society in 1906, when the Grand Trunk Railway opened the Mimico Yard. This led to a building upsurge as houses were needed to shelter the inpouring of workers who found employment at the Mimico Yard.
Mimico's dazzling growth led to its incorporation as a Town in 1917. Mimico maintained its Town status until 1967, when it was amalgamated with the Township of Etobicoke which is now part of the City of Toronto.