In 1827 William Chisholm obtained the area surrounding the waterways.
The home and business of the Chisholm family for six generations was a Georgian style house named Erchless, meaning 'by the stream' in Gaelic, a reference to the Chisholm family's Scottish roots.
William Chisholm left the improvement of the area to his son, Robert Kerr Chisholm and his brother-in-law, Merrick Thomas.
In 1834, the town became an authorized port of entrance into Canada. Ships docked from all over the Great Lakes and beyond, and many slaves were assisted by ships' captains to shroud in their vessels.
The Town of Oakville bought Erchless in 1976 to maintain it as a historical site. Since 1983, Erchless Estate has served as Oakville's Museum, positioned at 8 Navy Street, where it points to both the Oakville Harbour and Sixteen Mile Creek.