Unification of diverse hamlets

Posted on Jan 29, 2016 by Olga
A woman is pumping water at a well in king city  ontario resized
A woman is pumping water at a well in King City

In 1836, an agreement styled Springhill was established in King. With the arrival of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron railway in 1853, the village began to expand.

The village is named after British undersecretary of state John King.

In 1890, the reeve of King Township James Whiting Crossley incorporated King City by merging the hamlets of Springhill, Kinghorn, Laskay, and Eversley.

Two significant landmarks are Hogan’s Inn at four corners, build in 1855, and Crawford Wells, build 1863. The King train station, build in 1853 to serve the thriving community of Springhill, was relocated, having been moved to Kartright canter in 1969, back to King City in 1989 on the King Township Museum site at Jane street and King road.

In the early years, social activities were organized by local leaders in the community and celebrated at various locations in the village.
Whitby junction station 1918
Uxbridge history2
S1465 fl0043 id0044
Women of bay street
Financial District
F1244 it1003
Entertainment District
S1465 fl0006 id0008
The Annex
S0648 fl0045 id0001
S0065 fl0284 it0030
Queen Street West
1 downsview airshow 1946 downsv2 1
2004 30 4ms
West Rouge
Ttc 4323 harbord unknown
Gerrard Street East
Dsc 02011
Baldwin Village
S1 658b
Bloor West Village
Parkdale canoe club boathouse  1888
Don valley parkway at todmorden mills and brickworks  looking south west 1964  1972
Pape Village
Signage  long branch race track  1930 1950
Long Branch
Dufferin street looking south from south side dundas street
Little Portugal
Palmerston avenue and harbord street  july 17  1914
Little Italy
Liberty village looking east from above 1980 1998
Liberty Village
Hillcrest park  october 17  1913
Hillcrest Village
High park catfish pond   north from centre road  february 18  1913
High Park
1975 1988
Harbord Village
Aerial views of forest hill area  showing area north of lonsdale rd. and west of dunvegan rd.  june 1935
Forest Hill
Fairbank area  york township  1911
Home of w.o. duncan  woodbridge road  emery  north york twp  after 1900
St. clair avenue west from dufferin street  july 19 1912
Corso Italia
Church street widening  near wellesle  july 2 1929
Church and Wellesley
Baby point gate
Baby Point
A typical scene in earlscourt march 14 1914 p 9
Brockton Village
Richardson  john house 1908
West Hill
Old post office at scarborough village1909
Scarborough Village
95 york mills 07july 1963
York Mills
Yonge st. 1955
Downsview airshow 1946
North York
Img 5639
Don Valley Village
Don mills aerial 1960s triangle
Don Mills
East york bungalows
Woodbine Heights
Teck theatre in 1932.
Former intersection of queensway and lakeshore at the humber river
Rexdale blvd.  looking e. across kipling ave. 1955
Kingsview village the westway towers and backyards
Kingsview Village
Smith  robert home  house  edenbridge drive  n.w. cor. edenbrook hill. 1930
Humber Valley Village
Dairy inspection  etobicoke 1958
Centennial Park
Downtown oakvillethe oakville basket factory
Downtown Oakville
Erchless estate
Kerr Village
The west toronto diamond in january 1975
The Junction
Thistletown  late 1960s
The queen elizabeth way facing west towards the future bronte road interchange in 1959.
Burlington history
Mcr13rn01 fig9 resized
Acton ontario from the air  hs85 10 36349
 downtown  burlington   1877 resized
Downtown Burlington
Brown s wharf  aldershot  1916 resized
Aerial photograph of the town of weston  1942
Aerial view of the kodak campus in mount dennis in 1917.
Mount Dennis
Early morning milking  near credit forks  caledon  ontario.1917 watercolour   gouache on watercolour board
Honestedsfirstsign resized
Mirvish Village
Toronto koreatown 2009x
Sterling rd looking north from dundas st in the early 1920s. resized
Junction Triangle
Img 1064 1  560x350 resized
Dovercourt Park
1956 facing west from the lansing cutoff interchange  today s port union road resized
Port Union
Sketch 144 resized
Rouge aerial hi res
Scarborough bluffs  looking w. from e. of foot of midland ave.1950
Toronto hunt club   kingston rd south side feb. 4 1956
Birch Cliff
Lawrence heights revitalization 2 resized
Lawrence Heights
Exterior of the belsize theatre and adjacent shops  1942 resized
Davisville Village
Kids playing in the creek in wychwood park in 1916 resized
Wychwood Park
The section of bloor west where the kingsway theatre is located  c. 1960 resized. 1960 resized
The Kingsway
New toronto hotel  1935
New Toronto
Islington railway station  c.p.r.   islington ave.  w. side  n. of bloor st. w.1954
Halton history
Halton Hills
Milton history
Oakville history
Bloor st. w.  looking n.e. over mimico creek bridge resized. over mimico creek bridge
Thorncliffe park from the air  looking downtown  early 1970 s
Thorncliffe Park
The bayview theatre at 1605 bayview avenue  in leaside  was built by harry davidson in 1936
Toronto island airport  hanlan s point.1940
Toronto Island
The grange in 1907  when it was the home of goldwin and harriet smith.
Grange Park
The 1845 city hall at front and jarvis street . the centre section of this building forms part of the present day st. lawrence market. the side sections  pediment and cupola were demolished
St. Lawrence
Bloor street viaduct  panorama  feb. 26  1918
East Danforth
Meadowvale mill 1923 f1548 s0393 it18361a1
Meadowvale Village
Halton history
Halton Region
Port credit 1941
Port Credit
Image peel14 resized
Facing south along queen street in downtown brampton  1957
Downtown Brampton
Mount pleasant
Mount Pleasant
Old mill in erin resized
Erin Mills
Bush s inn  clarkson
Bolton camp 1940 resized
Old leslie st.  looking s.e. from sheppard ave. e. in foreground.1956
Bayview Village
Paintings of toronto  in the good old summer time. a summer day in the kensington market  on baldwin street  in 1982.  resized
Baldwin Village
Mary pickford theatre on the left   originally the auditorium theatre   opened 1906   1910
Alexandra Park
Whitchurch 1872   vandorf public school resized
Whitchurch - Stouffville
Pine grove park in woodbridge after hurricane hazel struck canada as an extratropical storm. october  1954.
Shepheardson hotel  yonge street thornhill inscribed in pen and black ink 1910
Ttc glen echo terminal 1920
Jackson's Point
Maple ontario in 1909
Postcard depicting the main street through kleinburg  ontario in 1911.
Old level rail crossing on hwy 7 at concord in 1929 resized
Humber river  looking n. to highway 7 bridge at woodbridge  vaughan
Richmond hill  ontario  1862
Richmond Hill
Main street  newmarket  taken in 1856
Ontario s old church  located at the intersections of fred varley drive and main street unionville.
Markham station resized
Markham Village
John galloway house   4 david gohn circle markham
The old schomberg and aurora railway station station at oak ridges  pictured as a fish and chip restaurant in the 1950s.
St. mary s catholic church   cemetery  nobleton
A woman is pumping water at a well in king city  ontario resized
King City
Museum 004  2
King Township
Sutton fair   early 1970s
Gallery 892
279111 10150322347121694 704826693 9346357 3443377 o resized
Sutton mill hist
Danforth history
Reading the news in chinatown 1945
Dundas and river 1937
S0071 it9915
Images resized
Calendarmount aalbert resized
Mount Albert
Holland marsh history resized
Holland Landing
Queen street east of lee
The Beach
Sharon temple
East Gwillimbury
Second market in york  toronto
York Region
Weston history
North end history
North End
East york history 2
East York
Etobicoke history
North york history
North York
Scarborough history
Postcard toronto sunnyside beach
West End
201326 dundas keele 1923
West End
Scugog history
Moore park bridge
Moore Park
Brampton history
Caledon history
Caledon Region
Sir robert peel
Oshawa history
Whitby history
Ajax history
Pickering history
Durham history
Kensington market history
Kensington Market
Harbourfront history
Distillery history
Distillery District
Upper beach history
Upper Beaches
Leslieville history
East end history
East End
Gta history
Greater Toronto Area
Portuguese youth story 1 pic 1
History downtown
Downtown Toronto
Beach history
The Beach


Whitby junction station 1918

Station Gallery

Posted on Jun 20, 2019
In 1967, a group of passionate arts enthusiasts in Whitby started a community gallery, operating under the name Whitby Arts...
Whitby Read more
Uxbridge history2

A Quaker Heritage

Posted on Mar 9, 2016
Named for Uxbridge, England, a name which was originally derived from "Wixan's Bridge". The Wixan were a 7th-century Saxon tribe...
Uxbridge Read more

St. Andrew's

Posted on Feb 24, 2016
Formerly known as St. Andrew’s, Thistletown was largely a rural, farming area throughout most of its history. It was named...
Thistletown Read more
S1465 fl0043 id0044

The Centre of Hippy Culture

Posted on Feb 24, 2016
Yorkville has a very interesting and unique history. Yorkville was founded in 1830 and it was annexed by the City...
Yorkville Read more
Women of bay street

The Big Five

Posted on Feb 24, 2016
This neighbourhood of Toronto became known as the Financial District in the later half of the 20th century when the...
Financial District Read more
F1244 it1003

Garment District

Posted on Feb 24, 2016
In the early 1900s, the Entertainment District was primarily an industrial area of Toronto. It was an area that was...
Entertainment District Read more
S1465 fl0006 id0008

Student Housing

Posted on Feb 24, 2016
Many Europeans families moving to Canada in the 1790’s first settled in the Annex. This area slowly started to grow...
The Annex Read more
S0648 fl0045 id0001

Where the wild roses grow

Posted on Feb 24, 2016
Rosedale was first settled in the 1820’s by Sheriff William Jarvis and his wife, Mary. Mary loved riding her horse...
Rosedale Read more
S0065 fl0284 it0030

Mosaic Community

Posted on Feb 24, 2016
Throughout most of the 20th century, Queen Street West was a neighbourhood of Toronto that was known mostly for its...
Queen Street West Read more
1 downsview airshow 1946 downsv2 1

A Down Hill View

Posted on Feb 17, 2016
The area is named for the farm settled by John Perkins Bull called Downs View in 1842 near Keele Street...
Downsview Read more
2004 30 4ms

Gore Vale

Posted on Feb 16, 2016
In the early 1800's, Trinity-Bellwoods was part of a tract of land belonging to Captain Samuel Smith. Smith named his...
Trinity-Bellwoods Read more

A Unique Summer Playground

Posted on Feb 16, 2016
West Rouge was primarily farmland in 1926, when real estate developer Cecil White created the "Rouge Hills" subdivision. This development...
West Rouge Read more
Ttc 4323 harbord unknown

The History of Gerrard Street

Posted on Feb 19, 2016
Gerrard is named for Samuel Gerrard (1767-1792), an Anglo-Irish businessman in Lower Canada and a personal friend of the Honourable...
Gerrard Street East Read more
Dsc 02011

An Involved Community

Posted on Feb 10, 2016
During the 60s and 70s Baldwin Village experienced drastic changes in its demographic and neighbourhood characteristic. As the Jewish community...
Baldwin Village Read more
S1 658b

Eastern European Flare

Posted on Feb 9, 2016
Bloor West Village is a neighbourhood of Toronto that has a very unique eastern Europeans flare. Many of the first...
Bloor West Village Read more