In 1818 the last remaining tract along the banks of the Credit River was conceded to the British Government. Timothy Street, a resident of Niagara Township, was given the task of looking over the final obtainment. In return, Mr. Street was admitted 1,000 acres of land in the new township and in 1824 this area was named as Streetsville.
Jabez Barnhart set up the Streetsville Semi-Weekly Register in 1843, and three years later his brothers, Solomon and John, vested “The Review”, the first weekly newspaper.
Early directories list several mills, a tannery, foundry, cooperage, brickyard, carriage shops, brewery, telegraph office, watchmaker, millinery, furniture manufacturer, and more. By 1850 Streetsville was recognized as "Queen of the County".
The village continued to develop after the arrival of the Credit Valley Railway in 1879.
Streetsville is home to the bulkiest cluster of historic buildings in the City of Mississauga, many of which have provided many different functions over the years.
It is this proportion of historical esteem and the lively batch of present-day retail shops and services that make Streetsville the original and most inviting Village in the City of Mississauga.