Toronto Hunt Club - Kingston Rd south side. 1956
Toronto Hunt Club started to develop the area of Birch Cliff in 1895. Fox Hunts were held at this club up until the 1930's, when golf became the memberships favored activity.
In the late 1890's and early 1900's many Toronto citizens built summer cottages on the property adjacent to the Toronto Hunt Club. The top of the Scarborough Bluffs was lined with birch trees which inspired John Stark to name his cottage "Birch Cliff".
The Birch Cliff name was used by the local post office, which opened in 1907 in Arthur Mitchell's grocery store. This store formerly stood at the corner of Kingston Road and Birchmount Avenue.
Birch Cliff developed as a year round residential community beginning in the 1910's and 1920's. From 1922 to 1947 provided the Scarborough Municipal Council meeting place.
Birch Cliff's residential expansion was completed shortly after World War II.