Originally a primarily wooded area and summer home to loyalist Colonel Samuel Smith, Long Branch first started being developed until the early 1900s. In 1916, Lakeshore Boulevard was paved thus making the Long Branch area a much more accessible and desirable place to live. Many new homes were built here throughout the 20s, 30s and 40s.
In 1930, Long Branch was incorporated as a Village and in 1967, Long Branch amalgamated with the towns of New Toronto, Mimico and the Township of Etobicoke to form the Borough of Etobicoke. Etobicoke became the City of Etobicoke in 1984 and in 1998, it amalgamated into the City of Toronto. Recently, there have been many new developments in Long Branch especially along Lakeshore Boulevard.