Downsview assumes its name from John Perkins Bull, a Justice of the Peace who settled in this area around 1842 naming it for the down hill view he had of Toronto from his estate.
For over a hundred years Downsview was a developing agricultural community with its own general store, schoolhouse, and post office.
The pillar of this community was the red brick Downsview United Church built in 1870; where it is still standing at 2822 Keele Street.
Although most homes were built post war in the 60s much of the industrial development occurred during the 70s.
Bull's home still stands today at 450 Rustic Road where it is presently used as a nursing home.