In 1836, an agreement styled Springhill was established in King. With the arrival of the Ontario, Simcoe and Huron railway in 1853, the village began to expand.
The village is named after British undersecretary of state John King.
In 1890, the reeve of King Township James Whiting Crossley incorporated King City by merging the hamlets of Springhill, Kinghorn, Laskay, and Eversley.
Two significant landmarks are Hogan’s Inn at four corners, build in 1855, and Crawford Wells, build 1863. The King train station, build in 1853 to serve the thriving community of Springhill, was relocated, having been moved to Kartright canter in 1969, back to King City in 1989 on the King Township Museum site at Jane street and King road.
In the early years, social activities were organized by local leaders in the community and celebrated at various locations in the village.