Grange Park was Toronto's leading elite neighbourhood. It is named after Grange House, finished in 1817, by D'Arcy Boulton Jr., a member of one of early Toronto's affluent and most prominent families.
Grange House, now part of the Art Gallery of Ontario, and the estates on Beverley Street, are the remaining reminders of this neighborhood’s early rise to prominence.
In the late 1800's, Grange Park's aristocracy headed for the newer more contemporary suburbs in Parkdale, Rosedale and the Annex.
By the early 1900's, Grange Park's considerable estates had been converted into rows of humble workers' houses that became home to many new Canadians.
Jewish immigrants were following by Eastern Europeans and most lately the Chinese; who migrated to Grange Park after Toronto's first Chinatown at Dundas and Elizabeth Street was scattered in the 1960's, to make room for the new City Hall.