For over 100 years (1829 - 1932) Port Dalhousie functioned as the northern entrance to the Welland Canal. This ended with the closure of the Third Welland Canal in 1932. Since then Port Dalhousie has become a part of the City of St. Catharines.
It's also developed as a tourism destination with a marina, restored buildings and a revitalized waterfront.
There are two lighthouses in Port Dalhousie, originally built as navigational aids to direct ships into the harbour and the First, Second and Third Welland Canals. Both local landmarks were integral to the early Welland Canal System. The lights were automated in 1968, and the rear range light was deactivated in 1988.
The Royal Canadian Henley Regatta started in 1880. In 1903 was decided to hold it at St. Catharines Port Dalhousie's Martindale Pond hosted by the St. Catharines Rowing Club permanently.