Roncesvalles truly started to grow as a neighbourhood in the early 1900’s when the Toronto streetcar began to run through its streets. The streetcar brought many new residences to the area as well as new factories and even from its early days, it was a very family-friendly neighbourhood.
After World War II, many Polish immigrants came to settle in this area giving this neighbourhood its distinct Polish character that still remains today. In 1944, St. Casimir's Catholic Parish was built here and many new Polish delis, bakeries and restaurants started to pop up along Roncesvalles Avenue. By 1954, the Polish community was firmly established here and many Torontonians started to frequent its streets in search of delicious Polish goods. In 1986, two BIAs were established in Roncesvalles that were later amalgamated in 1991.
Today, Roncesvalles is still very much a mix of its old world Polish neighbourhood with a new, trendy feel. Over the past two decades, many new and trendy shops, restaurants, cafes and bars have opened along Roncesvalles Avenue thus helping this neighbourhood to developed a growing appeal among young Torontonians and their families.