In 1669 well-known French explorer Rene Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle landed where La Salle Park is now stationed.
The many natural advantages of this area attracted aboriginal people long before the arrival of the first settlers along the lakeshore in the late 1700’s.
In 1784 the British accepted a large land area to Captain Joseph Brant in appreciation of fighting on the side of the British in the US War of Independence.
The trade by Brant of lots in his block noted the beginning of the area that evolved into Burlington. The influx of Loyalist settlers into this area as a result of the American Revolutionary War was followed by immigration from the British Isles and Europe.
By 1900, Burlington had expanded into a prosperous farming community with mixed farms and cash crops of fruit and vegetables.
Burlington's history is fortified in the communities, not only in the construct form, but in the names of the roads and communities as well as in the traditions and culture.