Brampton’s history dates to the early 1800s when it was a rural boundary known simply as Buffy’s Corners. This name was borrowed from a popular tavern of the same name that was located at Queen and Main Street where Brampton’s City Hall is now located.
John Elliot, and William Lawson, were the first pioneers to establish in this community. They would eventually subdivide their land and buildings into smaller lots, creating a community they named Brampton, after their hometown in northern England.
Most of Brampton’s first settlers were engaged at the local ashery, copper shop, and distillery. By 1852, Brampton had enough settlers to merge as a village.
The Grand Trunk Railway began steaming its way through the village in 1858, settling Brampton on the map, and establishing further growth.
Brampton’s plan grew even more in 1867, when it was chosen as the home for the Peel County Courthouse Jail and Registry office. These gracious buildings are now part of the Peel Heritage Complex, located at 9 Wellington Street East.