Aerial views of Forest Hill area, showing area north of Lonsdale Rd. and west of Dunvegan Rd.; June 1935
Formerly known as Spadina Heights, Forest Hill was named after the summer residence of John Wickson. He built his summer residence here in 1860 at the intersection of Eglinton Avenue and Old Forest Hill Road. In 1923, Forest Hill was incorporated as a village and in 1967, Forest Hill was annexed by the city of Toronto. In 1979, it became a Business Improvement Area (BIA).
Forest Hill was originally made up of mostly rich Anglo-Protestants. It’s southern region was mostly developed by the 1930s whereas much of the northern half of Forest Hill started to develop after World War II when many wealthy Jewish people started to move to this area. Today, Forest Hill is one of Toronto’s wealthiest neighbourhoods full of wonderful specialty shops as well as delicious restaurants and tasty bakeries.