Early Morning Milking, near Credit Forks, Caledon, Ontario.1917,Watercolour & gouache on watercolour board
Caledon’s first settlers were gold diggers who hoped to find riches in the Niagara Escarpment and Oak Ridges Moraine mountains which surround Caledon.
Deep beneath the craggy Caledon Mountains, laid another marvel, pure aquifers of spring water. Canada Dry, was formerly bottled in Caledon. Today, the Chrystal Springs Beverage Company brings water from the same well, once used by Canada Dry.
The Peel Plain which sweeps across the southern portion of Caledon is treated to be some of the most fertile farmland in Ontario. At one time there were 19 mills operating in Caledon.
The Town of Caledon was arranged in 1974, from an amalgamation of five municipalities including: the Townships of Albion, Caledon, and Chinguacousy, the Village of Caledon East, and the Village of Bolton.
The name Caledon is the poetic name for Scotland, where many of the town ancestors emigrated from.