Built from farms and saw mills, the early European settlement was named after the Don River and for the several pioneer mills operating in the area.
In 1914 the Dunlap family purchased lad in the region, establishing an award winning farm visited by agriculturalists from around the world.
In the 50s the farm was sold to Don MIlls Development Company which was headed by E.P. Taylor, a notable Canadian developer and philanthropist.
Don Mills is recognized today as the first planned contemporary suburban neighbourhood of Toronto following the war.
Don Mills is recognized as the first planned, and fully integrated post-war community in North America. It is credited with laying out the blueprint for Toronto's post-war suburban development and the building of contemporary neighbourhoods.