The Queen Elizabeth Way facing west towards the future Bronte Road interchange in 1959.
Founded in 1834, Bronte began as a small fishing village at the mouth of Twelve Mile Creek.
The name Bronte was given as a honor to the British Naval hero, Horatio Nelson, who was made Duke of Bronte by King Ferdinand III of Sicily. Bronte's lexical root is the Greek word βροντή /brontḗ/ which means thunder.
Some of Bronte's first settlers were United Empire Loyalists and some of the streets were identified for these founding fathers: Sovereign, Hixon, Nelson and Belyea.
Bronte's first harbour was built in 1856. The harbour progress attracted businesses to the area and allowed raised trade opportunities for area farmers.
Bronte road, also recognized as Regional Highway 25 or the Veteran’s Highway, links the historic villages of Bronte and Milton and is a busy highway in the west end of Oakville. Lakeshore Road (formerly Triller Street) and Trafalgar Street the former name of Bronte Road were the main arterial roads in Bronte Village.
Commercial fishing also became an significant local industry and fishing activities highlighted the waterfront landscape at the turn of the century through to the 1930s.
As an outcome of the stonehooking, fishing and shipping industries, Bronte became known for its skilled woodworking tradesmen, particularly ship-building.
Bronte was officially incorporated as a Village in 1951, but reverted to Trafalgar Township in 1959. Three years later, Bronte, with the rest of Trafalgar Township was amalgamated into the Town of Oakville.
While much of the commercial centre of Bronte Village has been reconstructed, Bronte has maintained its character as a village community.