In March of 1812 James Brock, cousin of Canadian war hero Sir Isaac Brock, first settled in what is now known as Brockton Village with his wife Lucy Brock. Soon after his death Lucy commissioned the construction of a road, known today as Brock Avenue, through the centre of the lot. The land was then subdivided and sold to Irish immigrants and the unincorporated settlement became known as Brockton. Incorporating in 1881 the town of Brockton stretched North to Bloor St., East to the city limits at Dufferin St., West to the edge of High Park, and ended South at the rail road line. Suffering from crippling debt the town was eventually incorporated by the City of Toronto on March 25, 1884.