Maple Keele St. 1909
The history of Maple can be drawn to its founding families: the Noble family and Rupert family. The Nobles rooted around the present Major Mackenzie Drive and Keele Street intersection in the early half of the 19th century. In 1852 the Town was called Noble’s Corner after Joseph Noble, the first Postmaster. Later, a Doctor Rupert lived in Maple and was such a respected member of the community that the Village’s name was bartered to Rupertsville.
Local folklore associates the name "Maple" with the numerous Maple trees once found along Keele Street in the Village.Keele Street was then a swamp area that forced most passengers to take alternate routes.
Once the Ontario, Huron, and Simcoe Railway built a line through Maple, the village began to advance. The station was then called Richmond Hill. The Canadian National Railway bought the line in early 1900 and the station was renamed Maple.
In 1928 Maple became a Police Village. Tom Cousins, Hiram Keffer, and Guy Laurie were the first custodians of the Police Village.
Housing developments began in the 1960s in the southwest, as well as restoration of homes damaged in the August 1962 fire and explosion at an Industrial Propane Depot. Massive housing progress did not began until the 1980s in the northwest nearer McNaughton.
Maple is home to one of the biggest mosques in Canada. Baitul Islam Mosque is located on Jane Street south of Teston Road in Peace Village, and is open to the public.